Friday, December 26, 2014

Review - Nabari no Ou volume 6

Amazing! I'm posting this a day after I posted the last! It's so nice to have free time!

STORY

Honestly, I was ready for a bit more excitement from Miharu's decision at the end of the last volume. But it all wrapped up within a half a chapter with all the characters basically going 'okay, cool'. From there, Miharu and his new buddies get ready to go off to Kouga, where the forbidden art Daya's scroll is located. Of course, to make things difficult, both the Grey Wolves and the Banten crew are trucking off to Kouga to make for some conflict. Once there, they both go to Alya Academy, where the art scroll is. They also meet a whole slew of new characters, but more on that later.

Yoite and Miharu's relationship still seems weird to me, but I guess it seems less weird now. It's funny. At one point, Raikou points out exactly what I was thinking about their relationship, and I thought that was great.

ART & PRESENTATION

There isn't much left to be said about the art other that it's SO GOOD. Every page has something to look at. I could spend hours reading just a single volume because the art is so good. Even when it's just talking heads, there's always something to look at. Best examples below!



Yen Press' presentation is great, per usual. My only nitpick this time is that a couple of pages seemed like they got printed really lightly. Other than that, everything looks great.

CHARACTERS

Man, this volume introduced a lot of new characters. At times, it was difficult to tell what was going on because of all the new characters doing different things. I'll go over the two most important new characters here.

First is Shijima Kurookano. She's very mysterious, and I can't figure out whether she's friend or foe yet. I hope she's not a disposable character who'll disappear after this story arc, 'cause she seems really fascinating.

If looks could kill...





Next is Subaru Fushita. She's the student body president at Alya Academy, and honestly, she's a little annoying. She's super devoted to the headmaster, which makes her kind of bull headed. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for her as a returning character, since she seems to be very central to the current story arc.

She's the bossy girl in class no one likes

FINAL VERDICT

Well, this volume was mostly just setup for the next, but that's okay, because it was good setup. Plus/minus below!

+ The art is so good
+ A new story and tons of new characters...

- Which can be sort of confusing when you don't know hardly any of them
- Miharu and Yoite's relationship still bugs me (I'll probably just have to get over it)

 B - BUY IT

Even though it's mostly setup, this series has more than earned it's 'buy it' ranking. I doubt I'll ever feel like I need to slap a 'borrow it' on any future volume.

(I don't own Nabari no Ou. All rights go to the author, Yuhki Kamatani, and the licensing company, Yen Press).

No comments:

Post a Comment