Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Thoughts on Black Lagoon Volume 10

Black Lagoon is my favorite action/seinen series ever. It's brash, crude, offensive at times, bloody, profane, and generally amazing. The frenetic and kinetic energy that just oozes from every panel makes for one of the most exciting experiences I've even had with manga. The final story arc of Roberta's quest for revenge had wonderful depth along with exciting and explosive action and concluded the series in a good fashion. Sure, there was still some speculation as to what happened past the end of the ninth volume. What about Revy and Rock? That's the one I wanted to know. Their growing relationship throughout the series was one of the drawing humanistic points that helped readers connect. Overall, however, volume 9 was a good place to end the series.

But then Rei Hiroe thought it would be a good idea to continue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for more excitement from the Lagoon Traders, but the ninth volume felt like the end to me. Any more, unless it manages to trump the Roberta's Blood Trail arc, will just feel like an epilogue, which I would be totally fine with.

If the series hadn't gone on indefinite hiatus.

I haven't read any of volume ten, as I want to keep it fresh for myself when it comes out in April, but I've been keeping up with the chapters. Chapter 87 told us at the end "TO BE CONTINUED". That was in February.

I understand that maybe Hiroe has simply gotten tired of drawing Black Lagoon, but still. Come on. You can't just leave people hanging like that. If you want to be completely done with it, come up with a killer arc to wrap everything up and end it once and for all. Don't slap a "TO BE CONTINUED" on the end and flip the bird to your fans if it'll never come back. All I ask for is closure, and if it never comes, I'll be very disappointed.

Regardless, I'm still excited for volume 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment