Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Review - Nabari no Ou Volume 9

This is the first of two reviews I'm doing tonight! I'm feeling generous since it's New Year's Eve. You're welcome!

STORY

Wellp, I already don't like where this is going. Miharu and Yoite are on their own now, and the Kasa are on the hunt for them. I can also tell that Yukimi is catching to the agreement. Chief Hattori is as well, and the tension ratchets up another few notches. This volume was basically one big chase scene with some other bits spaced throughout. Not that that's a bad thing. The other main storyline this volume was Yukimi's quest. There isn't really much to say about that storyline yet because it hasn't really taken off. That can be saved for next volume, I guess. Some of the best bits were looking into Yoite and Yukimi's past together.

The story is really taking off with this volume. The biggest plot points have yet to hit home, and the present storyline, which has several sub-plots within, is sure to deliver.

ART & PRESENTATION

This was my favorite part of the entire volume. Miharu and Yoite's little 'vacation' scene was filled with all sorts of beautiful artwork. The rest of the volume was fantastic as usual, but that was really the icing on the cake. Favorites below! There's a really nice full page image right at the end, but all the online scans have chopped it in half, so you'll have to trust me.





















The presentation is, as always, spot on. My only sliiiiiight issue is that on the cover of volume 8, Yukimi was hearing a brown jacket. On this cover, it's the same jacket, but it's dark blue. It's confusing me.

CHARACTERS

I'm honestly getting a little tired of including this section because every time it'll just be me heaping praise on the beautiful characterization. I've run out of new characters to go over and discuss, so don't be suprised if this section becomes very short in the near future.

Anyway, The characterization is great as usual. I like that Miharu is becoming less apathetic and more caring of people. It almost seems like a completely different series than what we started out with.

FINAL VERDICT

Great volume. Learning more about Yoite is always a treat, and some nice character bits for Miharu and Yukimi tied the knot. Plus/minus below!

+ Beautiful art
+ Great story arc
+ Great character moments

- The story is taking it's time getting to the major plot revelations

B+ - BUY IT

Great volume. I can't wait for the next!

(I don't own Nabari no Ou. All rights go to the author, Yuhki Kamatani, and the licensing company, Yen Press).

No comments:

Post a Comment